By Sue Luse
Known for academic excellence and a vibrant Christian faith. Approximately 3,400 ecumenically diverse students. The faculty is not required to be Conservative Christian. Chapel is not mandatory and no faith statement is required as part of admissions. There are no GLBT groups. Hope is striving to be more diverse and more national.
Holland, Michigan is a really cute Dutch town – nice tourist area and close to beaches on Lake Michigan. Their website describes it perfectly:
Throughout the history of Holland, MI right up to today, the city’s Dutch heritage is pervasive and cherished. You’ll see it in the spring as millions of tulips bloom throughout the city. You’ll see it in the Dutch architecture, particularly downtown where there’s been a surge of facade restorations and redesigns. You’ll taste it in the Dutch delicacies found in shops and eateries around town. And you’ll experience it at our Dutch attractions and during events like Dutch Winterfest and the Tulip Time Festival.
So whether touring DeZwaan Windmill, learning how to Klompen dance at Nelis’ Dutch Village, tiptoeing through the tulips at Veldheer Tulip Farm, or exploring the history of Holland and its Dutch art collection at the Holland Museum, you’ll see how Holland honors and delights in its Dutch heritage.
- Music is very strong at Hope – they do operas and musicals. They also have a summer theater program. For information on their theater, dance and music, see: http://hope.edu/arts/
- Science is also very strong at Hope – they have one of the top Chemistry programs in the country. Their research programs are huge. Biochemistry is a popular major. A good pre-med program and it’s not just for the “high flyers” – B’s in high school chemistry are fine. Good nursing program.
- Good English, Creative Writing and Education programs. Also, a small but wonderful History program.
Admissions & Financial Aid
- Average ACT 24-29
- Average GPA 3.8
- Offer $3,000 to $18,000 in merit scholarships – apply early
- Hope does not require filling out the FAFSA for merit scholarships
Hope has very nice athletic facilities – great work-out rooms, tennis courts, etc. They have ice hockey and football and also lots of fun club sports.